5 Thoughts on Tsitsipas’ Win Over Federer
Stefanos Tsitsipas knocked out Roger Federer in 4 sets in 4 sets at the Australian Open. Here are some of my thoughts on Federer’s shock loss.
- Federer didn’t play too badly. Tsitsipas was just too good. As Federer himself said, he couldn’t break Tsitsipas’ serve at the Hopman Cup and he could couldn’t break at Melbourne. Clearly there is something about the Greek’s game that bothers Federer.
- With this loss, Federer has not reached the semifinals of the last four grand slams. Writing his tennis obituary has been fool’s errand but his results haven’t been stellar by his standards.
- Federer announced that he will be playing the French Open this year. I was surprised by his decision. Federer said, “It’s a bit of a desire. I’m in a phase where I want to have fun and I’ve missed not doing it,” he told reporters of the French Open. “I don’t feel it is necessary to have a big break again.” Has Federer lost the fire in his belly? Is he playing for fun and not for winning?
- I have a feeling that 2020 may be Federer’s last year on tour. He may call it a career after the 2020 Olympics.
- Federer has played exceptionally well for someone his age. But age catches up with everyone sooner or later.