Holger Rune is one of the most exciting tennis players on tour. As a teenager, he broke into the Top 10 and won a Masters title.
Everything you need to know about Holger Rune
Rune was born on April 29, 2023. Rune’s parents are Aneke Rune and Anders Nødskov. His dad Anders Nødskov is the CEO of his company YachtZap. His mother Aneke Rune is the founder of Waterpoint and Minicooler.
Holger Rune has one sister, Alma Rune. He picked up the sport after watching his sister play tennis.
Coaches and training academy
He has trained with coach Lars Christensen since his junior days. His mother also played a key role in his tennis development. Since 2016, he has been training at the Mouratoglou Academy.
His idols when growing up were Roger Federer and Rafel Nadal. He was especially a big fan of Roger Federer.
Young tennis prodigy
- In 2014, he won the mixed doubles competition with Clara Tauson at the Danish Under 12 championships.
- In 2017, he won the European under-14 singles championship.
- In 2018, at age 15, he became the youngest Danish male singles champion when he won the 2019 indoor tournament
- In 2018, he won the French Open boy’s singles title
Major career accomplishments
- In 2022, he won his first Masters title at the Paris Masters beating Novak Djokovic
- In 2022, he won his first ATP title in Munich by beating Botic Van De Zandschulp
- In 2022, he reached his first grand slam quarterfinals at the French Open
- In 2023, he reached the finals at the Monte Carlo Masters where he lost to Andrey Rublev
- In 2023, he reached an ATP ranking of world number 7, making him the highest-ranked Dane in tennis history (tied with Kurt Nielsen)
First ATP title
In 2022, he won his first ATP title in Munich by beating Botic Van De Zandschulp
Best grand slam result
Rune’s best grand slam result so far has been reaching the quarterfinals at the 2022 Australian Open
Rune has earned more than $4 million in prize money. Of course, that doesn’t include the earnings from endorsements.
Holger Rune is single and is not dating anyone at this time.
Rune has developed a poor reputation in the locker room. He has had run-ins with Casper Ruud, Cameron Norrie, and Stan Wawrinka. Stan Wawrinka asked him to “stop acting like a baby” after their match.
Style of play
Rune has an excellent baseline game and a big serve. His game is adaptable to clay and hard courts – outdoor and indoor. He mixes up his game well to dominate his opponents.